Starfish recommendations

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know starfish are difficult to keep and need ultra stable parameters. I'm willing to take on the challenge and put the effort in. What I'm looking for is recommendations on which are best suited to a 90 gal display with lots of live rock and a healthy micro invert population. I also do water changes with natural sea water which adds additional micro organisms on a weekly basis.

My options are:
Nardoa novaecaledoniae
Pebble starfish (can't find species name so attached an image)
Fromia indica

Screenshot_20210324-195855_Chrome.jpg

Sawbones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Nardoa that looked exactly like the one above. It thrived until it finished eating all of my blue sponges, then it shrank away. I would not recommend one. The only ones I have kept successfully for many years are the serpent and brittle stars, though the orange or red "thorny" or sometimes called "knobby" have lasted a couple years, and have been well-behaved reef dwellers. https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1748/?pcatid=1748
Also, the "Elegant Brittle" or Ophiomastix variabilis (3 of them) that I put in over 8 years ago are all still doing great, and unlike most brittle stars, they are happy to be up on the rocks and visible almost all the time. Big red/ orange serpents have done great and will happily grab a piece of krill or other food and will survive. I have never been able to keep linkias or fromias at all.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back