Smoldering Styloconiella

toadfarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had this frag for 2 months. I checked online for placement for best light and flow and found sites recommending the exact opposite i some cases. I tried it middle to high with high flow and light. See pic. Looks like maybe too high. Anybody have this coral? Where would be the best location?
20200916_142922.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,lower light ,mod flow,jmo :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just not shaded ,med flow,starts receding come back here,keep us posted ;)

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look here:
http://www.coralsoftheworld.org/spe..._factsheet_summary/stylocoeniella-cocosensis/

There are only (3) recognized species of Stylocoeniella and the flat encrusting type with tightly spaced polyps would likely be S. cocosensis, and ones with larger more bumpy surfaces and more widely spaced polyps are probably S. armata. If it has a really knobby growth form, it's Stylocoeniella guentheri.

Per the link:

Habitat: Reef environments, especially under overhangs.

When I first bought my Stylocoeniella frags, the LFS had them under higher lighting with SPS (Acros, Montis, Pocilipora, etc.) and they were wondering why they were starting to bleach (worse than yours).

More info:

https://reefbuilders.com/2019/03/20/stylocoeniella-great-aquarium-coral/

Basically, this coral can and does hang out in shallow environments so I often see written that it likes 'higher light', but this is a bit of a misdirect IMO since it typically occurs in cracks, underhangs or under other branching corals where light is more moderate. As a result they are a medium/lower-medium coral that likes medium/medium-high flow. Also occurs more exposed in deeper water where light/flow is more moderate.

For a few months I couldn't get my frags to do much and they were actually starting to slowly fade away, even under appropriate lighting and flow. What I found is that this is one coral that really benefits from at least weekly feedings of small particle foods such as ReefRoids (especially when it's in a low nutrient reef system). I later read the 'ReefBuilders' article linked above and noted this confirmation:

'Most likely the fact this coral prefers living in cracks and crevices is a good solution for food capture, as this is where food particles tend to drop in and get stuck. So even though the polyps are quite small, they surely benefit from good feedings.'

Good luck!

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back