10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pavo Damselfish (Blue Damselfish) / Pomacentrus pavo

skinz78-albums-r2r-fish-database-damsels-picture16536-scan0025.jpg

Scientific Name - Pomacentrus pavo

Common Name - Pavo Damselfish (Blue Damselfish)

Size - 4.3" (11 cm)

Min. Aquarium Size - 55 US Gal. ( 208 L)

Foods and Feeding - Varied marine fare diet, live, frozen, flake, for omnivores, carnivores, herbivores. Feed min. 2 times a day.

Reef Compatibility - Excellent.

Captive Care - One of the more peaceful of the Damsels, a great aquarium fish, can be kept in groups, can be housed in a peaceful community tank. Provide plenty of hiding places, a great reef aquarium fish, will nibble filamentous algae.

k.schoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef hosts 4 pavos: kahuna, scar, Karen and pipsqueak. They are relatively peaceful, but will chase each other around the tank. Pipsqueak is the smallest, and gets chased the most. The crew may have injured or killed two of the more docile existing inhabitants.

They are actively breeding, which is an enjoyable trait. The largest is about 3 inches long and the smallest is less than 2. Kahuna and scare have nibbled on tank Gha but generally the school prefers nori algae. Every one eats meaty foods, flakes, and brine shrimp/copepods.

Attachments

• 32A4C899-3AE8-403A-A1C0-EE43764F6544.jpeg
    32A4C899-3AE8-403A-A1C0-EE43764F6544.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 207

k.schoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update a year later!

My two males, scar and pipsqueak, both went MIA assumed lost this year. One was lost in a tank move to a 125 from a 55, and Scar died after mating with kahuna. I wonder if that’s common in damsels?

Kahuna and Karen are large, about 3.5 inches and 3 respectively. They DO bully new additions to the tank. Any new fish should be added after dark to minimize their bullying (as they’re asleep).

I bought three new ones of which two were successfully introduced into the display. They are Prince Gilliam and Winston Churchgill. Interestingly, these two were added right after Scar and kahuna mated but right before he went missing; coincidence? They’re growing like crazy! My goal is a 6 damsel shoal: they do exhibit shoaling tendencies and often dive for cover at any movement in the room. I have two additional biota damsels in qt.
1AB647B8-D907-4993-8D18-E4324758955C.jpeg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back