New Meteor Shower Cyphastrea health

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I got this coral Wednesday from Live Aquaria. By yesterday night it looked almost as if the blue/green layer was peeling off? It still seems to have flesh under that layer, and the polyps are at least partially extended.

Is the color peel a sign that it’s experiencing necrosis? I have it very low in the tank, with the hydra 26 HD on 50% acclimation mode running BRS AB+. Anything I should do for it?

d1379d35c7301da57487d8448291520a.jpg
fb4ea326b3dcfe6b1c657ae97f9e2b30.jpg
f4a5f872c57ae7287d47c208f91ee77e.jpg

Pictures are 1. With all lights on 100 just for a photo. 2. How I am running them, which messes with the camera. 3. A few minutes after the first shot, all the polyps opened wide, which seems strange so I snapped a photo.

Thanks!

Edit: for what it’s worth its mouths shut back up. Appears like maybe there are a few sections without flesh, bottom right corner, but I can’t be sure if that’s new.

Last edited:

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look good, sometimes corals just don't ship well. Document your experience well and see if LiveAquaria will honor their gurantee with it.

What are your parameters like? Did you do a slow acclimation with it?

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look good, sometimes corals just don't ship well. Document your experience well and see if LiveAquaria will honor their gurantee with it.

What are your parameters like? Did you do a slow acclimation with it?

I’m sure they will if it dies. It has a 30 day. It’s the only one of five frags struggling from that shipment. My gut was it seems bad, but it’s an odd way to go.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyphastrea is extremely hardy. Mine is 2 yrs. old and has been stung by an anemone which left a dead area about a year ago. It healed completely in about a month. Then it tangled with a large mushroom and lost a 2 inch square of tissue. That also healed quickly. It has completely covered the rock I glued it on. As long as your chemistry is good, it will probably adjust to your tank in time. Sometimes corals are just too far gone to save, but as long as he has some healthy tissue, I think you can do it. Good luck!

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyphastrea is extremely hardy. Mine is 2 yrs. old and has been stung by an anemone which left a dead area about a year ago. It healed completely in about a month. Then it tangled with a large mushroom and lost a 2 inch square of tissue. That also healed quickly. It has completely covered the rock I glued it on. As long as your chemistry is good, it will probably adjust to your tank in time. Sometimes corals are just too far gone to save, but as long as he has some healthy tissue, I think you can do it. Good luck!

I really hope so. Those are some pretty impressive stories! I don’t know if it has much healthy tissue, you can see in the pics the blue layer has mostly peeled away. Maybe the under layer can survive? Very strange!

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope so. Those are some pretty impressive stories! I don’t know if it has much healthy tissue, you can see in the pics the blue layer has mostly peeled away. Maybe the under layer can survive? Very strange!

On the bright side, since they grow like weeds, Live Aquaria will probably send you another one pretty quickly. My LFS is overrun with Meteor Showers. It might be better to contact the vendor soon rather than hoping it survives.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the bright side, since they grow like weeds, Live Aquaria will probably send you another one pretty quickly. My LFS is overrun with Meteor Showers. It might be better to contact the vendor soon rather than hoping it survives.

They have a 30 day guarantee. I don’t think they will send it unless I show that it’s dead first. I could try. Kind of bleak looking, I know.

Devin Le

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently received a cyphastrea that did the exact thing yours did. The colored layer seemed to peel off and the piece was bone white, after a day of so there was still polyp extension from it so I left it in the tank. Now today I have just noticed that the color on it is coming back.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently received a cyphastrea that did the exact thing yours did. The colored layer seemed to peel off and the piece was bone white, after a day of so there was still polyp extension from it so I left it in the tank. Now today I have just noticed that the color on it is coming back.

What a strange phenomenon. Mine is practically in a cave on the bottom with the lights on acclimation mode, so it’s not light shock.

Mine is still “alive” I think... it generally looks horrible, but doesn’t seem to be changing much. Here are some pics under regular spectrum and with the Leds cranked for detail. Did yours ever look like this?

826dff3ff6af5d1ba0c3202e96ac9e83.jpg
c02dea9197e38ca572d78c47390c8126.jpg
77a1315a815054b0aaf21606d138172f.jpg
73f3d874767b7d447006c7f3a7ad9e94.jpg

Devin Le

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a strange phenomenon. Mine is practically in a cave on the bottom with the lights on acclimation mode, so it’s not light shock.

Mine is still “alive” I think... it generally looks horrible, but doesn’t seem to be changing much. Here are some pics under regular spectrum and with the Leds cranked for detail. Did yours ever look like this?

826dff3ff6af5d1ba0c3202e96ac9e83.jpg
c02dea9197e38ca572d78c47390c8126.jpg
77a1315a815054b0aaf21606d138172f.jpg
73f3d874767b7d447006c7f3a7ad9e94.jpg
I don’t know if it’s just because my frag has a rough shipping. I thought that maybe my lights were up too high so I moved it to a shaded area. This is what mine looked like

3E9F611B-8FE5-4A64-BFA0-E9C0B428DF2C.jpeg

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had other corals, including a cristata in the order, and they are doing well. Ours both look terrible man!

Devin Le

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had other corals, including a cristata in the order, and they are doing well. Ours both look terrible man!
Yea haha the piece was real nice, literally a minute in the tank and I see the “skin” peel off. Now it’s coloring back up. I’d say it’s making a nice recovery.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea haha the piece was real nice, literally a minute in the tank and I see the “skin” peel off. Now it’s coloring back up. I’d say it’s making a nice recovery.

I don’t think mine is recovering, but it could, I guess (hope).

And yeah man, mine started losing its skin within an hour or two, lost it all within a couple days.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did yours come from LA too?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyphastrea need 100% indirect lighting until they adapt to your system. They bleach easy when put into a new system.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyphastrea need 100% indirect lighting until they adapt to your system. They bleach easy when put into a new system.

Devin’s looks like a clear case of bleaching to me, mine is far less clear imo. It turned brownish after the blue peeled, not white, the polyps seem semi destroyed. Looking at the progression of mine, do you think bleaching is what happened?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devin’s looks like a clear case of bleaching to me, mine is far less clear imo. It turned brownish after the blue peeled, not white, the polyps seem semi destroyed. Looking at the progression of mine, do you think bleaching is what happened?
Your's looks like stn/rtn. I would give it indirect lighting and see what happens. Cyphastrea are fast growers when happy so even if you save a tiny area of flesh it'll grow back. I'd still try and get my money back as you paid full price for a sick coral.

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from LiveAquaira about a month ago, and I've been in the same boat trying to find a spot for it out of the light. It's turned bone white, back to brown. The red polyps look good at night but the base color still hasn't colored up. I my final spot for it is on a rock ledge under my fiji Leather, it gets shade from that. My cleaner shrimp has taken possession of it and sometimes is on it like he's typing on a typewriter, lol. I dont know if that's a bad thing. But it's been looking better here now, and hope to eventually see it color back up and grow/spread here.

IMG_2282.jpg

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Meteor Shower from LA never did color up. it's been over a month in the tank in different spots, mostly shade. I saw some great colored frags of them at my LFS this weekend, so I replaced it with this frag. Color looks great from the get go.

IMG_3897.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back