New Hippopus Clam Need Advice

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a hippopus clam from LA today and the poor thing arrived in virtually no water. Not LA's fault, it appeared that UPS took some liberties with the phase "live animals enclosed handle with care"... Since it was basically dry I had no choice but to inspect for pests and put him in the tank. So far he seems to be light sensitive and has opened up a bit. Any tips from more experienced clam keepers that can improve its survival chances?
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure you roll it to release any possible air bubbles trapped inside. give it reduced light for a few days and then move it out under direct light in bottom of the tank. Hippopus tend to be a bit deeper water then other species of giant clams. Should do fine, giant clams can survive out of the water for several hours

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure you roll it to release any possible air bubbles trapped inside. give it reduced light for a few days and then move it out under direct light in bottom of the tank. Hippopus tend to be a bit deeper water then other species of giant clams. Should do fine, giant clams can survive out of the water for several hours

Thank you for the quick reply! I should have mentioned I did burp him (no air bubbles were released he was shut very tight) and I have placed him off to the side of my hydra 52. Also, I put acclimation on at 50% for 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he didn't end up making it, I woke up to a gaping clam this morning. I had my doubts on his survival chances as he hasn't looked quite right for the past week or so. LA did quickly refund me which is nice to see, I just hate loosing any critters. I am going to get another clam here soon but will make sure it is from Divers Den or shipped directly from ORA's Florida facility. I just didn't like the shape that any of the critters came in from the California facility, I think thats the wholesaler Quality Marine but I could be wrong.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is too bad. I love my Hippos, very hardy, got mine from DD/LA, but not the Ca facility. Having kept pretty much all clam types I would say that Hippos is probably as hardy if not more so than Derasa, I have had mine about a year.

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love hippos, they are my favorite giant clam. Not a "pretty" clam per say but I have been in love with them since I was in High School (god that was a long time ago now). One of the teachers maintained an aquarium room and had a hippo that was well over a foot, it was a beautiful creature that she had since the early 90's. They actually just celebrated the clams 25th birthday a few months back! At this point its basically the school mascot lol.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love hippos, they are my favorite giant clam. Not a "pretty" clam per say but I have been in love with them since I was in High School (god that was a long time ago now). One of the teachers maintained an aquarium room and had a hippo that was well over a foot, it was a beautiful creature that she had since the early 90's. They actually just celebrated the clams 25th birthday a few months back! At this point its basically the school mascot lol.

Oh I would love to see that.:)

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find pictures of it but not having any luck. The next time I am in New York I think a stop and some pictures are in order.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be to sure that it wasn't`t LA`s fault. The last two clams I ordered from them came with ridiculously small amounts of water and a large air bubble in the bag. Needless to say, neither clam lived. Yes, I got my money back, but they killed two clams. I will never buy clams from them again.

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be to sure that it wasn't`t LA`s fault. The last two clams I ordered from them came with ridiculously small amounts of water and a large air bubble in the bag. Needless to say, neither clam lived. Yes, I got my money back, but they killed two clams. I will never buy clams from them again.

Were your clam purchases divers den or the cali facility? From what I have been reading it looks like lots of people are having livestock issues from the stuff coming from quality. Also, I still have full faith in the livestock shipped from ORA in Florida. I have been to Ft Pierce and that facility leaves me speechless. AFAIK live aquaria is the only place you can direct purchase ORA items.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back