Fish of the Day: Blackhead Filefish (Pervagor melanocephalus)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blackhead Filefish / Pervagor melanocephalus

77029_580_360.jpg

SCIENTIFIC NAME - Pervagor melanocephalus

COMMON NAME - Blackheaded Filefish

SIZE - 3.9" (10 cm)

MIN. AQUARIUM SIZE - 20 US Gal. ( 76 L)

FOODS AND FEEDING - Live Brine shrimp soaked in a marine vitamin supplement, initially smashing shrimp or squid flesh into the crevices of coral skeleton or live rock may help entice a feeding response, once feeding provide a varied diet of marine animal flesh, frozen preparations for herbivores, Mysid shrimp, freeze dried Krill soaked in vitamin supplement, algae, vegetable matter, Feed min. 3 times a day.

REEF COMPATIBILITY - Not recommended.

CAPTIVE CARE - Demanding species to feed, keep only one or a proven pair, keep with peaceful non competitive food tank mates, may show aggression to closely related species, provide ample shelter, hiding places.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept mine in a predator tank with a radiata lion, betta, and black ribbon eel. He was active and kept to himself. He ate live ghost shrimp, pe mysis, hikari mega marine, krill and whatever bits of shrimp, scallop, and silver fish. A bit challenging to feed in the beginning, just start out with a variety of live foods: amphipods, brine, black worms, and ghost shrimp. Very cool fish.
007.jpg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. Getting live foods will be difficult for me. I will have a variety of frozen foods but live will be a problem. I will get some fresh or frozen seafood and seaweed when possible.

Is it hardy and resistant to disease?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you get one aleady eating a dead foods well, I wouldn't trust it. At the very least you should hatch your own brine shrimp and have a tank stocked with pods. This has been the untold story of this fish and why you don't see them very often. Most people don't use live foods to get them established and they never eat. They are not prone to disease but should be prophylactically treated for internal parasites.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back