Fish ID

Vibrant Orange Zoanthids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this fish for a little while now. He's got quite the personality, expressed by his scales which can change color.

0.jpg

IMG_8392.jpg

IMG_8402.jpg

IMG_8400.jpg

OP
OP
Vibrant Orange Zoanthids

Vibrant Orange Zoanthids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest match I could find is a white banded possum wrasse. Wetmorella albofasciata.
Screenshot_20190127-190842_Google.jpg

@eatbreakfast #reefsquad
They are similar looking, but I don't think they are the same species. My fish's eyes protrude from his face and can pivot, while your picture looks rather sunken. The snout shapes are also somewhat different. From what google tells me about the Possum Wrasse, they are a solid color. The one in my tank can change color and usually is a white-green, vibrant red-black, or a mix of quite a few colors as shown in the pictures there. He usually eats shrimp and for whatever reason enjoys hanging around my pipe organ coral.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheilinus oxycephalus, red snooty wrasse. This is a peaceful wrasse that changes color and patterns pretty rapidly. It may hunt small inverts and fish the size of barnacle blennies.

I think you win... but I don't know what the prize is... oh, the satisfaction of helping another reefer! Good job.

OP
OP
Vibrant Orange Zoanthids

Vibrant Orange Zoanthids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheilinus oxycephalus, red snooty wrasse. This is a peaceful wrasse that changes color and patterns pretty rapidly. It may hunt small inverts and fish the size of barnacle blennies.
You've cracked the code. I've actually noticed a sharp decline in my hermit crab population around the time I got him. If they are the cause, how can I safely stock my clean up crew? I've also noticed that it often interacts with my pipe organ coral. It will place its snout on one of the 'blooms' and rest there for 10 or so seconds before swimming away and repeating. Neither the coral or the fish seems to be harmed from it. Perhaps it just enjoys the scenery. He also tends to stay whiter in coloration. Could this indicate a problem?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've cracked the code. I've actually noticed a sharp decline in my hermit crab population around the time I got him. If they are the cause, how can I safely stock my clean up crew? I've also noticed that it often interacts with my pipe organ coral. It will place its snout on one of the 'blooms' and rest there for 10 or so seconds before swimming away and repeating. Neither the coral or the fish seems to be harmed from it. Perhaps it just enjoys the scenery. He also tends to stay whiter in coloration. Could this indicate a problem?
His investigating the pipe organ is him looking for amphipods.

His coloration is just him trying to camouflage. Nothing to worry about.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back