First piece of SPS! Turbinaria Pagoda? Turbinaria Reniformis?

Coidy92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm quite new to reef keeping and after a few months of keeping LPS, I decided to purchase my first piece of sps. I decided on this large piece of Turbinaria but I'm having trouble finding information on the species.
First thing, I can't work out is if this is Turbinaria Pagoda or Turbinaria Reniformis? The Polyps are a yellow colour and the rest is a purple/brown colour.

From what I've researched I've placed the cup upright with Good lighting and good Flow. I've heard you need to fan the coral to keep detritus from settling within the coral Aswel.

I've had the coral in the tank for about 3 days so far but I haven't seen any polyp extension at all. I've checked at night and still no sign of polyp extension. Is this normal as all other corals I've put in the tank have usually settled within a day or two.

Any information, tips or help with this coral would help as there isn't a lot of information out there about them.

IMG_2949.JPG

IMG_2948.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool coral, i've never really dug into the name too much. I've had a piece for 5 years or so now, it's approaching the size of a basketball lol. This coral has been very forgiving with any chemical swings in my tank. I've had it high in the tank and it was happy. And it currently sits on my sand bed and is still looking happy. I liked this coral so much i recently bought another color variation of it that is purple skin with orange polyps....

Wish i had scientific advise for ya but i don't Lol.... just my personal experience. I might have my pick on the computer I took about a year ago, I'lll check

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing with the polyp extension is maybe it needs to acclimate to your tank, and lower light might be better right now. Did it have polyp extension where ever you picked up this coral?

OP
OP
C

Coidy92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks can't wait to grow mine to that size. I'm currently running a ecotech radion xr30 at 40% intensity about 12 inches from the water but until I get a seneye I have no idea on par so it's a total guess and just watching to see how they react. Also have a vortech mp10 running at a max of about 50% and he's sat quite close to that so I'm hoping it's not to much flow. He's not moving or rocking about from the flow and none of my lps are having any problems so I can't imagine it's too strong. How long would you wait before deciding to move to a different area of the tank. 1 week or longer?

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly i'd say it's too hard for me to to give you a helpful answer on whether to move it or not. I'd say let it be and keep an eye on it. If all your numbers are right with the water and all, i'd imagine you'll see polyp extension soon.

OP
OP
C

Coidy92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks, I read into a few threads on forums and apparently they take a while to acclimate to a new tank when first put in. Some said as long as two weeks.

irish02bk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
start low and move up. I feel that the higher i have mine the more yellow it has gotten.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is T. reniformis. The pagoda is typically green and has much larger polyps. My reniformis loves high light in a whiter spectrum. It also likes to be fed. I also have T. bifrons and heronensis. They are all extremely hardy.

OP
OP
C

Coidy92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments. How do you feed yours. I have tropic Marin zoo-tonic that I feed all my corals every couple of days and regularly spot feed my acans and trachyphyllia with mysis. Looking into the reef roids if anyone has used that and can recommend.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some of the issues with these acclimating slowly is due to the number of convoluted plates these have and the fact that it's form will have been determined by the natural flow it received. The flat or bowl shaped turbinaria seem to settled down much quicker.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant wait for my to grow like that. Right now it looks like a chalice! I have had very good luck with this coral so I found another one for 7 bucks and got it for my other tank since mine isnt big enough to frag! I found a blue and green one for 7 bucks on a live sale left over sale that reduced 30 percent more so its 7.00 as well. I know this is an old thread but couldnt help commenting! LOL

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its either T. mesenterina or reniformis, they are extremely hard to tell apart, definitely not T. peltata (pagoda)
Nice piece!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back