different Chromis types okay together?

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the following Chromis be okay in the same tank?

blue reef
blue-green (black axel)
vanderbuilt
acares midget

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you can in the short term (i.e. a month or 3). But I think Chromis of the same species type are prone to reducing the school by killing off the weakest.

Good luck. If you try it, keep us in the loop.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you can in the short term (i.e. a month or 3). But I think Chromis of the same species type are prone to reducing the school by killing off the weakest.

Good luck. If you try it, keep us in the loop.
Sorry but that is just not true- it depends on what species you are grouping, yes you need to do some work but it is possible.

To answer the OPs question. I have never kept Blue reef so I cannot comment. If you are confident you can identify and are actually buying Black axil (C. atripectoralis) especially young ones which do not have the black spot on the pectoral fin and your tank is large enough to not crowd them they will tolerate others of the same species. Both Vandervelts and Acares are small shy fish which will not settle well in a busy tank. I would suggest they either need a species tank or a tank with small, quiet fish (blennies/gobies/pipefish) to thrive.

If you are considering a small Chromis may I suggest C. retrofaciatus (black-bar) a very underrated fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black-bar are super cute, thanks! Are they as shy as Vanderbuilts and Acares? Or more outgoing like black-axil?

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black-bar are super cute, thanks! Are they as shy as Vanderbuilts and Acares? Or more outgoing like black-axil?
They are not shy, but also 'not in your face' fish. I had a group and once they matured the males setup a territory each around a cave or overhang. The females swam round the tank checking out the boys. There were handbags but nothing serious. They do not school/shoal but the interaction makes interesting watching.

OP
OP
K

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haydn, about Black-Bar Chromis,
Liveaquaria website says...

“They prefer to be in groups of six or more. They are typically a peaceful species, unless they are housed alone.”

Question 1: How would they do in a smaller group, say 3?

Question 2: If several died and I’m left with only 1, will he get aggressive? Since they say “typically peaceful unless housed alone”?

Thanks

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haydn, about Black-Bar Chromis,
Liveaquaria website says...

“They prefer to be in groups of six or more. They are typically a peaceful species, unless they are housed alone.”

Question 1: How would they do in a smaller group, say 3?

Question 2: If several died and I’m left with only 1, will he get aggressive? Since they say “typically peaceful unless housed alone”?

Thanks
Q1 They are tiny, mine didn't get anywhere near 1", relatively cheap- less than Green Chromis price, and unless you have a Nano you need to have a minimum of 5-6 to make an impact IMO.

Q2 I have never seen any aggression from these fish- OK a male will 'protect' its territory by flashing and mock charging an intruder even if that intruder is quite large! but I have seen or had one that was nasty.

OP
OP
K

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super, thanks again!

FYI, I have two tanks a 55 (Reefer 250) and a 40 gallon breeder (both with ~ 10 gallon sumps). I was thinking six at 2” each would take up alot. I’ve only had the 2 tanks a little over a year, so I’m still new, but I was thinking about 1 inch of fish per 3 gallons of water. But if they are only 1”, then I could easily make that work.

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but that is just not true- it depends on what species you are grouping, yes you need to do some work but it is possible.

To answer the OPs question. I have never kept Blue reef so I cannot comment. If you are confident you can identify and are actually buying Black axil (C. atripectoralis) especially young ones which do not have the black spot on the pectoral fin and your tank is large enough to not crowd them they will tolerate others of the same species. Both Vandervelts and Acares are small shy fish which will not settle well in a busy tank. I would suggest they either need a species tank or a tank with small, quiet fish (blennies/gobies/pipefish) to thrive.

If you are considering a small Chromis may I suggest C. retrofaciatus (black-bar) a very underrated fish.
I have a a couple questions. First, I have an usual situation: I had a tank crash around August/Sept. I went over 90 days fallow. Either, velvet or Brooke killed most of my fish. I had 3 survivors. A clown, yellow tang and 1 green chromis. The 3 endured an extensive quarantine process. 2 rounds Copper, 2 rounds prazipro, formalin dip and fed metroplex. And, observed 30days/no meds. So, regardless, type of fish... I’m very protective of these 3. My green chromis were in a shoal of 9. I lost one, not long after I got them. So, the group of 8 we’re together over a year. Then, the tank crash.
My original plan was to quarantine the 1 chromis and purchase another 5-6 (so, that it wouldn’t be alone.) Well, the quarantine took much longer than I thought. The lone chromis has been alone for almost 6 months. Something funny; I think, he thinks, he’s a clown. Lol The chromis stuck with my clown, all of this time.
First ? Should I get more? I had heard mixed reviews on this. The info can be conflicting. I’ve heard they can live alone. I’ve also read that it’s cruel to keep them alone. And, most are referring to, not in a school of chromis. He’s got the clown, he isn’t 100% alone. I had started giving up on the idea, because my chromis seems happy, healthy and content. So, my ? Is should I get more green chromis, or not? I would prefer not getting more.
To make this situation more confusing...
My teenage son knew the first part... my lone chromis...
He bought a fish (because, he thought it looked cool.) It’s a black and white Chromis/Chromis iomelas. I’ll put a pic of what it looks like. It’s in quarantine.
Same ?s
Can this black and white Chromis be added to my DT (with my green Chromis?)
Should I get more black and white/ a school? It seems like I would be compounding the problem. What do you recommend? The info says aggressive amongst own kind. Those that look the same or same species? Any info about these 2 would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• A29CAD20-969A-4714-8F84-ED34466072A9.png
    A29CAD20-969A-4714-8F84-ED34466072A9.png
    469.7 KB · Views: 44

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a a couple questions. First, I have an usual situation: I had a tank crash around August/Sept. I went over 90 days fallow. Either, velvet or Brooke killed most of my fish. I had 3 survivors. A clown, yellow tang and 1 green chromis. The 3 endured an extensive quarantine process. 2 rounds Copper, 2 rounds prazipro, formalin dip and fed metroplex. And, observed 30days/no meds. So, regardless, type of fish... I’m very protective of these 3. My green chromis were in a shoal of 9. I lost one, not long after I got them. So, the group of 8 we’re together over a year. Then, the tank crash.
My original plan was to quarantine the 1 chromis and purchase another 5-6 (so, that it wouldn’t be alone.) Well, the quarantine took much longer than I thought. The lone chromis has been alone for almost 6 months. Something funny; I think, he thinks, he’s a clown. Lol The chromis stuck with my clown, all of this time.
First ? Should I get more? I had heard mixed reviews on this. The info can be conflicting. I’ve heard they can live alone. I’ve also read that it’s cruel to keep them alone. And, most are referring to, not in a school of chromis. He’s got the clown, he isn’t 100% alone. I had started giving up on the idea, because my chromis seems happy, healthy and content. So, my ? Is should I get more green chromis, or not? I would prefer not getting more.
To make this situation more confusing...
My teenage son knew the first part... my lone chromis...
He bought a fish (because, he thought it looked cool.) It’s a black and white Chromis/Chromis iomelas. I’ll put a pic of what it looks like. It’s in quarantine.
Same ?s
Can this black and white Chromis be added to my DT (with my green Chromis?)
Should I get more black and white/ a school? It seems like I would be compounding the problem. What do you recommend? The info says aggressive amongst own kind. Those that look the same or same species? Any info about these 2 would be appreciated. Thanks
If you wish to keep Chromis as loners then do so, they will be fine. You can also add Chromis iomelas as a singleton it will be fine.

rocklobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis can’t even get along with their own kind. I bought 5 blue chromis and they basically murdered each other within a month. I have my doubts that a bunch of different kinds would be much different. For reference I have a reefer 425XL, and I never lose fish.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis can’t even get along with their own kind. I bought 5 blue chromis and they basically murdered each other within a month. I have my doubts that a bunch of different kinds would be much different. For reference I have a reefer 425XL, and I never lose fish.
A picture of my tank when I started to rebuild after my heart attack early 2010 not brilliant but you can just about make out some species of Chromis
1616255736267.png

And a video of the tank 6th October 2010 the Chromis are mostly still in there.

Except for the Vandavelts, which I now think are not suited to 'busy' tanks, most were present in 2016 when my PBT murdered them.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back