Burning Banana Stylocoeniella is too bushy

Reef Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My JF Burning Banana Stylocoeniella is too bushy. I have had the frag for about three months. The coral is not unhealthy. The polyp density is too much, there is literally no yellow "skin"... at all. Even with the polyps retracted, there is literally no yellow showing. I would like to have the frag about 75% yellow skin to 25% red polyps. I have the frag in Medium-Low light with moderate flow. Any ideas or suggestions. Thanks.

OP
OP
Reef Alchemy

Reef Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• Burning Banana.jpg
    Burning Banana.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 216

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a more clear/focused picture?

OP
OP
Reef Alchemy

Reef Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a more clear/focused picture?
I cut the powerheads/pumps off for this picture. This is the best picture my Smart phone will produce. I included a picture that includes a Yellow Tang photo-bomb for color comparison.

Burning Banana Clear.jpg Burning Banana Tang.jpg

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the camera settings that WWC uses. You need a more orange filter and more saturation for sure.

Seriously, it looks fairly happy with better PE than the WWC pic. Did WWC sell this to you? Did it ever look like that pic? Maybe it is something different?

Lastly, different colorations can come from different light spectrum and different parameters. Figure out those differences.

OP
OP
Reef Alchemy

Reef Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the camera settings that WWC uses. You need a more orange filter and more saturation for sure.

Seriously, it looks fairly happy with better PE than the WWC pic. Did WWC sell this to you? Did it ever look like that pic? Maybe it is something different?

Lastly, different colorations can come from different light spectrum and different parameters. Figure out those differences.
The frag that I have, came from a local LFS, and not WWC Corals. The frag originally had more yellow skin, but the polyps have grown denser to the point that there is no yellow skin. The contrast between the yellow skin and red polyps is what I like about Burning Banana Styloco and my specimen has become just red shaggy polyps. And yes, the polyp extension is good, and the coral seems healthy, but it isn't the result I expected or what I am looking for and I was hoping someone else has experienced this and what may have caused it, such as... overfeeding, etc.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag that I have, came from a local LFS, and not WWC Corals. The frag originally had more yellow skin, but the polyps have grown denser to the point that there is no yellow skin. The contrast between the yellow skin and red polyps is what I like about Burning Banana Styloco and my specimen has become just red shaggy polyps. And yes, the polyp extension is good, and the coral seems healthy, but it isn't the result I expected or what I am looking for and I was hoping someone else has experienced this and what may have caused it, such as... overfeeding, etc.
Most people around here are asking "what can I do to get MORE PE on my...?" Lol.

But you are in luck my friend. I have just the thing to solve for this problem of too much PE. Two words:
Dwarf Angelfish.

You are welcome. I will see myself out. :)

OP
OP
Reef Alchemy

Reef Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people around here are asking "what can I do to get MORE PE on my...?" Lol.

But you are in luck my friend. I have just the thing to solve for this problem of too much PE. Two words:
Dwarf Angelfish.

You are welcome. I will see myself out. :)
Have had a Flame Angel the entire time I've had this frag.

Matthijs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it in a low light area?
Mine browned out when it got in the shade of another coral.
It got alot more PE than that picture of WWC but I still see the yellow, less though and polyps are more orange than red-brown.

Grtz,
Matthijs

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is yellow even in the shaded areas, it actually has grown toward the dark. Medium to low light, Radion XR30’s with ATI blue plus T5’s, medium flow.
9104159A-9FD3-4380-9754-457900AF9457.jpeg

Last edited:

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a strong resemblance to Leptastrea species. Some pics have sweeper tentacles which would be suspect if this is Stylocoeniella.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back