Are these white areas new growth in my Pavona maldivensis?

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of only a few SPS corals I have and I have only recently started dosing Kalkwasser to the tank for more stability. Noticed theses spots at the tips and one at the base area that are getting a bit whiter. Is this new growth or is this a problem?

2797EF10-4451-4794-8034-26EF293749D5.jpeg 8F495284-CA3B-465F-969E-3209E76CF7F5.jpeg

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping that wasn’t the case! I did increase the intensity of my xr15 Radion pros a bit, but did it over a 45 day acclimation period. Went to 60% point intensity vs 45%. My thought was to bring up the PAR a bit for the SPS I was slowly starting to add.

mall other perimeters have been the same, just ALK is more stable with the Kalkwasser.

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo is tough, but one of the upper tips has the same white as that spot on the base. When I search for colonies of the same coral, online for sale, it seemed that a lot of them have the same white on the tips and the edges of the base. That’s why I was hoping and assuming you growth.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tips I can agree with you on as growth, but the base should never turn white, It's either bleaching, or shading. I do not see any shading in the pic though.

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks! Really appreciate it and I will drop the light some and see how things go. How quickly can I realistically expect to see any change or recovery of a change in lighting?

Would just dropping the light starting tomorrow be ok, or should I do it over some time with an acclimation period?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tips I can agree with you on as growth, but the base should never turn white, It's either bleaching, or shading. I do not see any shading in the pic though.
Could also be a flow issue. The coral needs flow all around it to shed its waste. I have seen this in my birdsnest, as it grows the flow minimizes.

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Homer! I really liked it as well! I actually bought it that size from a local Reef store. I’d have to look back in photos but I think I’ve had it for about five months now.

Dburr, I was actually up last night thinking about this. Watched a BRS video about flow that I had watched when it first came out. It made me think I might not have enough flow in that area anymore. I just modified my schedule for flow and made sure to add a good four hour heavier random flow. Each day.

I’ll keep an eye on it and besides the change in flow I’m gonna definitely leave the lights as they are. Thanks as always!

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after increasing the flow during during a 5 hour window yesterday and then today, I noticed that it has a very large number of small feeder tentacles or something extending from it. Very thin and almost silk like, and maybe 1/4” long if I had to guess.

Guessing that it likes the increased flow! and will have to possibly Change my flow schedule to include increased flow throughout the day.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweepers. They come out to sting nearby corals that are competing for space. I ahve never seen them on my mint chip, but the hairy pavona has them all the time. Pavona's pack a punch in that respect.

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa! There was so many I thought it was something else. It’s all by itself so I don’t think it can hit anything else there.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back