Acan Echinata Question

Frankey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for all you acan echinata fans.

I have had my echinata colony now for a couple of months. All of my corals seem to be loving their current water parameters and placement, as well as the Kessil lighting. I have a couple of other acan colonies throughout the tank and all are bright and full of amazing color. My question is this, where (location in tank) would the coral thrive? What would best copy the natural environment for light and current? I currently have the coral located on the sand in direct light with a mild current. Any pointers would greatly help.

This is a pic I took yesterday with my phone. Sorry about quality and the amount of blue, it was taken late. I am still learning how to use my new camera.

Ec.jpg

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my encinata mixed in with my other acans and it's completely happy and full. I've got the kessil A360we's, appx 10" above water and water depth is about 18". Intensity is at 47% and color at 35%. this is in my new cube. When in the 75g I just sold the intensity was 63% I think...I think with the cube there's a lot more light reflecting off the 3 sides cuasing it to be a lot brighter.

OP
OP
F

Frankey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jimbo6662, thank you for the response. I have a nano bow front tank that was given to me from a good friend that is 30 gal. I have the same light. I have mine about 10" above water with a 24" deep tank. It ramps up to 65% intensity and 50% color during my mid day, or highest, setting.

Do you target feed?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try ramping the intensity down a little. I target feed a couple of times a month.

OP
OP
F

Frankey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I can try that. Now let me ask you this. I also have some SPS colonies. They love the lighting the way it is. If I were to lower the intensity, do you feel it would have a negative effect on them?

OP
OP
F

Frankey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post a current pick of the tank in a minute. I had to move the echinata over to the side up top in order to allow for the big cup I quickly grabbed so my new mushrooms can have time to grab a hold of small rock. A little rearranging had to be done this morning. Then everything will go back to normal.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah...it might. i had sps in my 75 and they were doing good with it at 63%.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try moving it closer to the side of the tank so it's not getting the direct focus of the light. My encinata is actually near the front corner of the tank.

OP
OP
F

Frankey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cup is where the coral was and will go back to. Unless moving it to an area with less direct light might be best?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely try moving to the side. I'll take a pic of mine when i get home.

OP
OP
F

Frankey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give that a try. Now the difficult part of having a small tank. What do I move and where? I will post a pic later on what it is I do.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple of pics of mine...colors are a little off. Centers are a yellowish color and blue outsides.

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back