IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix in South Florida

Mandrew968

I have grown Beccariophoenix alfredii for nearly five years and madagascariensis for almost two. So far so good with them. Here is a pic of alfredii, taken a few days ago.

20160113_163507.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

Alfredii looks great ! I planted one about 2 years ago and it, too, is becoming a real beauty ! They really are taking on a coconut palm look as they grow.

Yeah, that is one happy looking alfredii. Great score on the Pritchardia as well. I passed on those when I had the chance to get some seedlings, thinking that there was no way they'd grow here. (Like pacifica & thurstonii). But a friend has one growing that looks just fine. You just never know. Yours looks great.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

49 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Yeah, that is one happy looking alfredii. Great score on the Pritchardia as well. I passed on those when I had the chance to get some seedlings, thinking that there was no way they'd grow here. (Like pacifica & thurstonii). But a friend has one growing that looks just fine. You just never know. Yours looks great.

Bret.  How your windows these days? It's still one of my favorite so cal specimens. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

5 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

I have grown Beccariophoenix alfredii for nearly five years and madagascariensis for almost two. So far so good with them. Here is a pic of alfredii, taken a few days ago.

20160113_163507.jpg

looking real nice!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

The Beccariophoenix Alfredii is certainly a great looking palm.  I planted one about 18 months ago and its grown quite quickly.  In fact, it grew that well it inspired me to plant another one a few weeks back.

4vn81j.jpg

• Upvote 4

Nice! Here's one from Central Florida. I got about 50 seeds back in March 2010, and this one was always the fastest grower. It saw 28 degrees that December as a small seedling with no damage. 

IMG_4595.thumb.JPG.fbd454f2a58f1bf1a29cb

• Upvote 3

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thanks everybody for the kind words! In my garden, I rarely will ever cut a yellow leaf. Brown leaves are fairly common in the garden too-despite all that, my palmtalk friends know the difference in a sick palm, and a person who grows the natural look-I love the natural look; so trimming is way down the list on chores in my garden.

3 hours ago, Rafael said:

Amazing Palm, Andrew!

It will speed up growth even more.

You had any doubt about its viability in South Florida?

Rafael, when I planted this palm, we really didn't have much info on them and what they liked. Or at least I didn't... I remember reading the first encyclopedia of palms about the genus, after mine was planted, thinking how little information I had to go on... Knew I was never going to plant a coconut, but loved the idea of people coming over and mistaking it for one-love that kinda thing...

9 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Bret.  How your windows these days? It's still one of my favorite so cal specimens. 

Hey Steve, still chugging along, putting out 4-5 fronds a year. Just about have the entire crown overhead. Feel free to stop by one weekend. I imagine your son is somewhat bigger than when I last saw him!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

5 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Rafael, when I planted this palm, we really didn't have much info on them and what they liked. Or at least I didn't... I remember reading the first encyclopedia of palms about the genus, after mine was planted, thinking how little information I had to go on... Knew I was never going to plant a coconut, but loved the idea of people coming over and mistaking it for one-love that kinda thing...

Yes, i remember the time when i first read here about beccariophoenix, there was a lot of uncertainty.

I lost my first two to frost. But now i am sucessfully growing a couple in my sheltered yard ^_^

It looks like they are well adapted to the S. FL marl soil and more acidic soil up here.  This is one palm that definitely likes full Sun, even from seedling.  Unfortunately, mine do not get it.  Here are 4 of them in the garden under Livistona canopy.

DSCN3539.JPG

DSCN3540.JPG

DSCN3541.JPG

DSCN3542.JPG

DSCN3544.JPG

• Upvote 1

What a beautiful palm!

I am almost checking my Beccariophoenix seeds (delivered by mail end of November) everyday - I can`t wait to

get them germinated - and to put at least one of them (as a seedling) later in the ground.

Thank you for the nice pictures!

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2016‎ ‎3‎:‎41‎:‎05‎, Mandrew968 said:

Pritchardia mitiaroana.

20160113_163556.jpg

That's a rare Pritchardia that I've never seen available before.  Doesn't that species grow on coral soils in habitat?  If so it should do well for your S. Florida high pH conditions is my guess.  Where did you find one of those?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2016‎ ‎2‎:‎34‎:‎41‎, Mike Evans said:

It looks like they are well adapted to the S. FL marl soil and more acidic soil up here.  This is one palm that definitely likes full Sun, even from seedling.  Unfortunately, mine do not get it.  Here are 4 of them in the garden under Livistona canopy.

DSCN3539.JPG

DSCN3540.JPG

DSCN3541.JPG

DSCN3542.JPG

DSCN3544.JPG

Mike, this palm like it's cousins, do best in a more acidic soil like I have here in west Broward. Mine is getting large, I expect it to flower soon!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

15 hours ago, Al in Kona said:

That's a rare Pritchardia that I've never seen available before.  Doesn't that species grow on coral soils in habitat?  If so it should do well for your S. Florida high pH conditions is my guess.  Where did you find one of those?

Yes they grow in coral rock-very little soil from the pics I have seen-very fat trunk; I would bet they are the biggest girth in the genus. 

I got a couple several years back at a SFPS auction (from MBC). I sold the other one to Manolitus-he loves Pritchardia and I was happy to pick one up for him. I planted the other one. His should be bigger than mine, as I give very little care to mine.

This is Beccariophoenix madagascariensis. It has been in the ground for almost 2 years from a 7 gallon. This palm represents my second attempt at this species. Second time looks to be the charm... Pardon the mess of pots all over-in the process of moving all potted material out. Longer process than anticipated!

20160117_164209.jpg

These pics were taken a few days ago. The palm has almost replaced the entire crown from when it was planted; not a fast palm. Better to start out as big as you can with these.

20160117_164132.jpg

I had resisted growing D. alfredii because I had read it looks a lot like Cocos. I have so many "real" Coconuts everywhere!

However I certainly could not resist when given seeds by its namesake Alfred in Madagascar in October! All 7 have sprouted so eventually I look forward to planting some out.

The ones in photos here do look nice! 

• Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

11 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

I had resisted growing D. alfredii because I had read it looks a lot like Cocos. I have so many "real" Coconuts everywhere!

However I certainly could not resist when given seeds by its namesake Alfred in Madagascar in October! All 7 have sprouted so eventually I look forward to planting some out.

The ones in photos here do look nice! 

And best of all, they will never drop a coconut on your head! 

The best way to look at these palms are as Madagascan Attaleas...

This is going to be the first time my Beccariophoenix alfredii is going to go through a freeze unprotected here in St. Augustine, Florida.  Looks like we are going to have about 3-4 hours in the 32-30 degree range tonight.  Shouldn't have any frost due to the wind, Anyone had any experience with them at those temps.  Just curious.

Lou St. Aug, FL

2 hours ago, Lou-StAugFL said:

This is going to be the first time my Beccariophoenix alfredii is going to go through a freeze unprotected here in St. Augustine, Florida.  Looks like we are going to have about 3-4 hours in the 32-30 degree range tonight.  Shouldn't have any frost due to the wind, Anyone had any experience with them at those temps.  Just curious.

Yes, I have.  Won't bat an eyelid.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

3 hours ago, Lou-StAugFL said:

Mine saw 28 F in 2010 as small seedlings and they didn't mind it too much. A few miles inland of me (so maybe 1 or 2˚ colder) they were defoliated during that winter, so that's probably about their limit. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Just some updates on a super carefree palm. Love it, glad it is in my rainforest.

becarrio1.jpg

beccario.jpg

beccario2.jpg

Looks awesome. Is that a jacaranda or a mimosa tree behind it?

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update from today on Beccariophoenix madagascariensis. Doing very well...

20170625_134723.jpg

• Upvote 2

Photos like these are invaluable to me as I figure out where to put mine still in pots! 

Yes, I have changed my original opinion and see that even surrounded by Cocos nuciferas, these are worth growing too.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

2 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Photos like these are invaluable to me as I figure out where to put mine still in pots! 

Yes, I have changed my original opinion and see that even surrounded by Cocos nuciferas, these are worth growing too.

I too have fallen in love with these. I have B. madagacariensis and B. fenestralis. The B. madagascariensis are really slow ,even at the beach. Cant wait to have one with some trunk.

To me they look like super full,very robust Cocos.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

This is my Beccariophoenix alfredii that I planted 4 – 5 years ago from an 1 to 3 gal pot.

Beccariophoenix alfredii 3.JPG

• Upvote 3

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

And one more with a size 12 shoe for scale.

Beccariophoenix alfredii 1.JPG

• Upvote 1

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

I saw this one at kopsick yesterday which looks to be flowering for the first time. I counted 3 spathes without walking around the back side of it. 

20170628_141323.jpg