IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tabebuia donnell-smithii

Al in Kona

I just took this pic yesterday of a huge Tabebuia donnell-smithii in flower as seen from the highway in Kealakekua, Hawaii.  It is very striking against the green vegetation and blue sky.  Anyone else growing this Gold Tree or see it in your area?  

What other Tabebuias do you find to be outstanding flowering trees?

Here's the pic - sorry a bit faded out - guess I over exposed

post-90-1204833876_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I'm a fan of Tabebuia impetiginosa.  I have a little one that I hope flowers one day.  I also have something that came labelled as Tabebuia aff. alba that purportedly has yellow flowers and nice leaves.  This one goes deciduous in winter.

That tree in your photo rocks.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Wow. That is cool. From what I read, they naturally have that stately look about them. Meaning they naturally form that classic tree look without heavy pruning.

Like Jason, I only have Tabebuia impetiginosa. Mine is starting to drop leaves so it will flower soon. I wish Tabebuias grew faster here as I would like to have others.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

• 2 weeks later...

Al,

I pass  dozens of them on my way to bowl in Pearl City.  Eveh have one just below me.  Years ago I bought one and it has grown wonderfull but almost never flowers and when it does there are only a few flowers.  It is also very brittle and breaks in strong winds.  Perhaps I don't give it enough water to flower but it is about 20 feet tall.  Well it was until the last storm knocked off abut 10 fee.

Steve

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Al,these are native to this part of Guatemala.Here they start to bloom in December and go until about February.This is during our dry season.Here they are known by the name Palo Blanco - White tree.The trees are much sought after for the wood which is light colored and the tall straight trunks provide long planks.

Scott

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I also grow Tabebuias here in Tampa Bay. Had a beautiful, large 30+ footer, pink, that bloomed so nicely in late winter but Hurricane Jeanne in '04 took it down. They are quite brittle but breaking is its way of rejuvanating against strong winds. Unfortunately mine uprooted and was never the same. My yellow is small now, just planted last fall but new growth is roaring as we speak. Quite cold hardy,too, zone 9a/9b. There is a HUGE one larger than the photo at Univ of South Florida in Tampa at their botanical gardens./ Sweet! Greg in warm New Port Richey 80's and sunny, again

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

I have a 5g T. impetiginosa and T. roseo-alba that are ready to go in the ground here in Socal, and I'm wondering what the growth rates are and how long I will have to wait for flowers.  Can anyone in Socal growing Tabs share their experiences?

San Fernando Valley, California

Peter, my favorite Impetiginosa was put in the ground 3 years ago from a 15 gallon. It was already 8 feet tall and flowering. The thing is that they do not flower profusely young. That comes with age. I just saw today mine is about ready to really flower up this year. I will post a picture in a few weeks when it opens up.  They really are slow growing for a tree. Obviously I have no idea on the roseo-alba since you just hooked me up with mine. The only person I know with this plant is your pal Ron.

On a side note, if you want for free (just dig it) a 24 inch boxed Impetiginosa that I planted last spring that is a quicker start, let me know. I bought it last year after seeing my big one flower again. But as you know, room is running out. I plan on putting that Jacaranda jasminoides or Roseo-alba in its place. I offered it to Gary, but the guy 'Jonesed' and went and bought and planted one already. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I have 2 types: Tab. chryso... which is yellow and just starting to bloom and tab. rosea which is without leaves at the moment after a dry winter so I guess it will bloom this year for the first time. Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look