Euphorbia Trigona Help

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
euphorbiaeuphoria

Euphorbia Trigona Help

Post by euphorbiaeuphoria »

Hello,

I recently purchased a large euphorbia plant off of craigslist. The seller was very helpful with tips on how to re-pot and care for the plant. He said that he has had the plant since the 70's, takes it outside every growing season, and has propagated it many times.

Most of the plant looks pretty healthy however there are some concerning brown spots. I am not sure if I should be worried about them. Are they corking, sun burn, or rot? Should I try to cut them off?

Thanks in advance.

hegar

Re: Euphorbia Trigona Help

Post by hegar »

I am not well educated when it comes to Euphorbia spp. However, to me it looks like those are lesions that have been present on the plant for a number of years. They seem to be found almost exclusively on the older stems, while the newer growth is free of them.
What I would do is the following:
I would keep an eye on these lesions, in order to find out, if they are becoming larger or spreading to healthy tissue. Normally, both corking and root rot will be visible near the soil line first. On your plant, the lesions are higher up and it looks, like whatever caused these lesions is no longer present. So it looks like you do not have to do anything right now and there is no need to worry.

Harald