DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Anyone care to share their personal experience with this fish in a reef tank...

:fish::thanks:

Gebel_u1.jpg

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Only reef I have experience with this fish in is a 3,000g and it's been in there for over 2 years and both male and female are inseparable. Great coloration and never seen them pick on anything. What size tank do you plan on keeping it in? They are one of the smaller angels but not a pygmy so I wouldn't recommend them for anything too small.

susan2626

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a female in my 97 and she is great. Gets along perfectly with all fish (including the flame angel) and all my corals (all softies + 1 crocea clam - no SPS). Other fish: pair GSM, pair Randall's gobies, 3 lubbocks, 1 ornate, 1 starry blenny - all very peaceful.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
All genicanthus species are considered the "safer" alternative for a reef tank if you must experiment with an angel.
I've kept a pair in an sps/clam tank for about 1 year with no nipping at all. I've since lost the pair to a tank wipeout after my tank move :(

I will also tell you that they are a good gamble for a reef tank but...... I caught one of a newly aquired harem (1 male and 3 females), smallest female picking on my open brain and a favia colony.

Phyl

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up a pair of Bellus at the Aquatic Obsessions anniversary sale over the weekend, so I don't have any personal experience with them. They're in with SPS and LPS so I'm hoping that they remain model citizens. Happily they're eating prepared foods (anything under the sun) like mad so I'm hopeful that they'll stay away from the corals.

Obviously, I'm hopeful.

ireefny

Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
I have a female I got from Fishtown, never picked on anything except liverock when I still had a reef, eats almost anything I throw in the tank that can fit in her mouth. awsome comunity fish, wish I scored a pair though. she is now in a 180 FOWLR with alot of cousins such as Watanabe, Majestic, Emperor, Swallow Tail.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I have kept ( and still have) a female in reefs of all descriptions without problem. I have never seen one nip at anything, and in general they don't bother other fish either. Make sure you choose your specimens carefully as they often suffer from swim bladder issues related to improper collection techniques. Males tend to not fair well and I wouldn't purchase one that has not been in QT in the shop and is swimming and eating well. The females are nicer anyway IMO.

RD

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Thanks for the all the Feedback.....

Wow Warren..:happysad:

I think I going to chance it & be on a search to find a pair. Anyone see some around locally?
I'll keep an eye out for that Randy. Any recommendations on how to notice swim bladder problems? Lack of swimming?

I agree, I like the females coloration...but I also like to keep pairs in my tank...:inlove:

IReef:

How are the Watanabe's?

Phyl

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They were 120 per/200 for the pair at AO. Took 35% off during the anniversary sale. They've been getting them in fairly regularly.

ireefny

Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
the watanabes are easy going, eats everything and again, I only had female. bothe are said to have ability to turn into males. I like the watanabe Males better than the Bellus Males, but the female Bellus takes my vote hands down. bothe species introduced around same time into a reef tank, never picked on anyrthing. Watanabe grew much faster than the Bellus eating frozen & dried foods....pig!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: