Barred Rabbitfish Vs Scribbled Rabbitfish

benwildog

Is there a difference between the 2? Both are listed under the same scientific name Siganus doliatus, but pictures tend to vary from mostly yellow and white for the barred and striped w/ yellow, green/BLUE variations. Ive only see the yellow ones around and wonder if they are the same but look different at different ages. I got a yellow one and it does have a hint of the coloration, just not as ive seen in pictures.

bang guy

Common names will always have this problem. They are mostly just opinions and the same species often have several common names and common names often refer to many different species.
For me, they are two different fish. When I think of Barred Rabbitfish I think of Siganus doliatus. When I hear Scribbled Rabbitfish I imagine a fish that looks like Siganus spinus.

benwildog

Did it always have all that coloration? Mine has more of a yellow along the dorsal fin and whitish on the belly. blue stripes across the nose. It is about 3.5 inches. Will it develop the coloration or is it just a matter of the individual fish? Mine looks like this now.
http://www.pbase.com/clippo/image/46162002

bang guy

Originally Posted by Benwildog
Anyone Have Any Idea If The Fish Bang First Posted And The Fish In My Linki Are The Same?
Yes, they are the same species.

kevin34

How much does a barred rabbitfish go for? What size tank do they need? Any other info would be great.

bang guy

Originally Posted by WiteSpy
can you put them together? in one tank
I would not try more than 1 Rabbitfish unless it is a very large tank. It didn't work in my 900 gallon lagoon.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Kevin34
How much does a barred rabbitfish go for? What size tank do they need? Any other info would be great.

The care is identical to the Foxface. I don't know the price, mine was adopted. I'd recommend at least a 6 foot tank.

kevin34

What do they eat? Would algea sheets be alright? Would one get along with a tang in a 125? Also Bang Guy, as they get older do they grow more of the blue markings? Does their color change at all with age? I have seen a few pics of them but none have had as much color as yours.
Could you post a few more pics?

ric maniac

Originally Posted by shogun323
hmmm..... I wonder where that pic came from ....... LOL
lol look at the fish closely! i think its real name is the wild doctors fish

kevin34

What do they eat? Would algea sheets be alright? Would one get along with a tang in a 125? Also Bang Guy, as they get older do they grow more of the blue markings? Does their color change at all with age? I have seen a few pics of them but none have had as much color as yours.
bump

anonome

I have a barred, or sold to me as a scribbled, rabbitfish. He/she has been with me about 4 years now. I feed the tank flakes, pellets, frozen, and nori sheets. They are herbivores, but he seems to eat anything. Oh, what a pig when eating too, pushes everyone out of the way to get at the food, especially the nori. Yes it would be a nice addition to the tank with tangs, since they eat the same type of foods. I have tangs in my tank, you can see them in the full tank shot.

kevin34

Has yours grow more color as it aged? Other ones that I have seen in pics only have the red and blue on the head and thats about it.

bang guy

They will eat anything you put in the tank to feed other fish. They will also eat almost any type of algae including Bryopsis, Valonia, Caulerpa, hair, etc. The only alge mine won't eat is Halimeda.
It will probably get along with the Tang but a 125 will be crowded with a Tang and a Rabbitfish.