Scorpion ID, Isometrus species?

moymoy

Arachnopeon
I don't know, maybe I can't tell the difference between Lychas sp. and Isometrus sp. @ 1st glance, however I kept two specimens already of each specie (namely, Lychas mucronatus and Isometrus maculatus). But do wild Isometrus (presuming that it is collected from the wild) tend to be darker than CB's? My Lychas mucronatus is not that large to be picture perfect, lest of course if I have macro lens with me.

Pictures of my Isometrus Maculatus
The date of it's preservation by the way is June 1, 2009

and here's the only photo of her alive. I used a point-and-shoot cam for this one.

..and yeah, your recent pics tells me that it is indeed an isometrus sp. for me, kinda hard to tell actually unless you have both specie.. nice looking female btw?

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know, maybe I can't tell the difference between Lychas sp. and Isometrus sp. @ 1st glance, however I kept two specimens already of each specie (namely, Lychas mucronatus and Isometrus maculatus). But do wild Isometrus (presuming that it is collected from the wild) tend to be darker than CB's? My Lychas mucronatus is not that large to be picture perfect, lest of course if I have macro lens with me.

..and yeah, your recent pics tells me that it is indeed an isometrus sp. for me, kinda hard to tell actually unless you have both specie.. nice looking female btw?
Thanks for the pictures. Yes, mine definitely 'looks' like your female Isometrus maculatus. The trident-looking markings on each of their tergites bear striking resemblance to each other. I had the pictures open on two tabs and went back and forth a couple times to compare. :p I'm not sure about the color difference between captive-bred and wild-caught, but I do think it could be attributed to the lighting in our pictures.

Mine is still quite young, only 2 cm (".75), so I'm not sure on the sex, and I guess as people mentioned earlier, not 100% on the ID as well (but I am leaning towards I. maculatus). The age difference might also be the reason for the difference in color between yours and mine. At what size do these guys attain maturity? Given the size of mine, what instar do you think it is?

Hornets inverts

Arachnobaron
Just got a pair of female (hopefully gravid) Isometrus melenodactylus yesterday so thought id upload a shot of lychas vs isometrus telsons for you. Will be posting a thread to show the difference between the 2 genera but thought i'd put them here for your first.

Top: Isometrus melenodactylus
Bottom: Lychas sp

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Hornets inverts!

I see now what you and Michiel meant by the larger more 'rhomboidal' shape of the subaculear tooth of Isometrus spp. It seems like the metasoma of the Lychas spp. is thicker and shorter than that of the Isometrus spp., especially at the base. Is that usually the case, or is it just this specific Lychas?

Last edited:

Hornets inverts

Arachnobaron
Cant say sorry. These are the only lychas type i keep at the moment, may have some preserved ones to check out, if i do i'll get pics of them too. Only recently really been starting to pay attention to the fine detail of these animals

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cant say sorry. These are the only lychas type i keep at the moment, may have some preserved ones to check out, if i do i'll get pics of them too. Only recently really been starting to pay attention to the fine detail of these animals
Yes, I know what you mean. I used to think all scorpions looked alike, except for color and size. Even reading up on descriptions and what not did not really help. Only after caring for a couple, and actually closely observing them or their pictures did I slowly become aware of the vast differences in their shapes and structures. Up to now, some scorpion groups still confuse me.. Guess that's a good reason to keep adding to my collection. :)

Thanks for taking the time to post all those pictures. Looking at all the pictures in this thread, it does seem like Lychas spp. have 'chunkier' tails than Isometrus spp. Can't say for sure if this applies to all cases though, I am certain that there are species from both genera that will go against this speculation. I guess having a 'chunkier' metasoma is probably not a very good taxonomic indicator either..

Hornets inverts

Arachnobaron
Yes, I know what you mean. I used to think all scorpions looked alike, except for color and size. Even reading up on descriptions and what not did not really help. Only after caring for a couple, and actually closely observing them or their pictures did I slowly become aware of the vast differences in their shapes and structures. Up to now, some scorpion groups still confuse me.. Guess that's a good reason to keep adding to my collection. :)

Thanks for taking the time to post all those pictures. Looking at all the pictures in this thread, it does seem like Lychas spp. have 'chunkier' tails than Isometrus spp. Can't say for sure if this applies to all cases though, I am certain that there are species from both genera that will go against this speculation. I guess having a 'chunkier' metasoma is probably not a very good taxonomic indicator either..
The 1st metasomal segment on Lychas scutilus doesnt look as short and stocky as the lychas and related genera i posted pics of.

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The 1st metasomal segment on Lychas scutilus doesnt look as short and stocky as the lychas and related genera i posted pics of.
Ah, so I guess it does depend on the species then. Thanks again, Hornets inverts!