My Roaches

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
What do you do when they get out? Are they fairly easy to catch? I love the look of them, but I'm afraid of them flying off never to be seen again.
A separate, but related question you may know the answer to; Does the Simandoa cave roach (Simandoa conserfariam) fly? I've been having trouble finding out.
Well when my first female flew out she landed on a wall and stayed there, so it was easy to recapture her using a deli cup. Now whenever they look like they are going to fly I raise my hand in front of them so they crash into my hand when they fly, haven't had any get out of their cage since that first female. :) During the day they are pretty calm, but at night you'd have to be crazy to open the enclosure.

And no, S.conserfariam does not fly. :) They can climb pretty well though.

That male started off a good deal smaller than the females and yet they've matured around the same time. Is that typical in cockroaches? Do the males go through their entire life cycle at a faster rate? If so, then I'll bet that my question mark roach that out-grew the rest is a male. That will make keeping an established colony more difficult...
In some roach species the males do grow much faster than the females, like Corydidarum pygmaea, which makes breeding hard. In A.bolliana however, both sexes seem to grow at the same pace, the males are just smaller.

I am very glad that I sent you the male since we were mistaken about the females being mature (in which case they would have also been fertile after being housed with a male if they weren't already)! :happy: At least I live at the source and will see if I can find another male this weekend. ;)
Yeah, thank god for those two males you sent me, otherwise it would be really hard to breed them lol! :p Hopefully any males you have will mature soon, if not it should be fairly easy to look for them at lights and in leaf litter.

Those Arenivaga cf. genitalis are lovely too! Are they much smaller than A. bolliana
Yeah they are way smaller than A.bolliana, adult A.genitalis females are perhaps half the mass of a mature A.bolliana female, and shorter.

How are the Lothlorien Panchlora doing? :D
They are doing good, still no babies, but Gil's females from the same batch are starting to give birth, so I should be getting babies really soon! :)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Latiblattella rehni:
Adult male

Polyphaga saussurei:
Probably mature female

Polyphaga aegyptiaca:
Female

Male

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
African bullet roach:
Nymphs

Arenivaga bolliana:
Males

Females

Paranauphoeta discoidalis:
Nymphs

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I am super impressed, Hisserdude! Lots of quality time went into your amazing collection.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I am super impressed, Hisserdude! Lots of quality time went into your amazing collection.
Thanks, I appreciate it! :) All the time and money that I've put into this hobby has been more than worth it, I love my collection! :D

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
My Panchlora sp. "White" from @wizentrop have finally given me babies, hooray! :D
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :astonished:

I'm happy to see your Arenivaga bolliana look to be doing well too -- and two handsome males! :happy: I look forward to seeing what the newborn nymphs look like! :D

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :astonished:

I'm happy to see your Arenivaga bolliana look to be doing well too -- and two handsome males! :happy: I look forward to seeing what the newborn nymphs look like! :D
Thanks! Unfortunately it seems I have less the a dozen nymphs of the Panchlora sp. "White", and I only have one female left... and who knows if she'll give birth or not.

Yeah the Arenivaga bolliana are doing pretty good, hoping to see nymphs in a few months! :)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Balta notulata:
Nymph

Corydidarum pygmaea:
Adult females

Polyphaga saussurei:
Adult female

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Glad to see someone with B. notulata! That's a species I'm hoping to get someday. I really enjoyed my C. pygmaea while I had them, but the timing never really worked out with my males maturing so far ahead of my female and dying, but even when Kyle sent me an extra male and I saw them mating I never got any nymphs out of her. Maybe try again in the future because it's such a cool species.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Glad to see someone with B. notulata! That's a species I'm hoping to get someday. I really enjoyed my C. pygmaea while I had them, but the timing never really worked out with my males maturing so far ahead of my female and dying, but even when Kyle sent me an extra male and I saw them mating I never got any nymphs out of her. Maybe try again in the future because it's such a cool species.
Yeah, Alan gave me some in case his culture died out while he went to his trip in AZ, luckily his culture did not die out though. :) My nymphs are doing well, but this species seems to be slow growing compared to other Ectobiids I've kept.
Yeah, I was lucky enough that my male Corydidarum all matured at around the same time as the females, so they have definitely mated, however I am having difficulty getting them to give birth...

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Arenivaga bolliana:
Ootheca

Balta notulata:
Adult! :D

Blaberus sp. "Venezuela":
Adult female

Dorylaea orini:
Adults

Ootheca

Pycnoscelus surinamensis:
Adult male (Extremely rare and sterile)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Gorgeous roaches! I love the designs on the pronotums! :D

How did you wind up with a male Pycnoscelus surinamensis and are males always sterile?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Gorgeous roaches! I love the designs on the pronotums! :D

How did you wind up with a male Pycnoscelus surinamensis and are males always sterile?
Thanks! :)

Occasionally males will pop up in cultures, they are very rare though and always sterile. I just opened the cage one day and found him on the surface on the substrate! :D Glad I was able to get some pictures of him, he'll probably be the only male I see for quite some time.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Paranauphoeta discoidalis:
Adult female and subadult nymph

Subadult nymph

Adult female

Polyphaga saussurei:
Female carrying oothecae

Female without ootheca

Polyphaga aegyptiaca & P.saussurei comparison:
Adult females

Parcoblatta divisa: